This month we are pairing wine with our favorite fall activities and recipes
Apple Picking, Hayrides & Wine – Oh My!
What’s better than warming up after a crisp day at your favorite apple orchard and experimenting with your favorite fall recipes and a cozy glass of wine.
Roasted Sweet Potato & Apple Soup
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 apples
- salt & black pepper
- pinch of cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Prick the potatoes with a fork, place on baking sheet, and roast until tender 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large Saucepan over med-high heat. Add onion, celery and apples (peeled & chopped) & cook stirring until soft for 10-12 minutes
- Halve the potatoes; scoop out the flesh and add to saucepan. Add 6 cups water, 2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Cook until heated through, 8 to 10 minutes
- Puree the soup in the saucepan using a handheld immersion blender (or, working in batches, a standard blender). Add water, if necessary, to reach the desired consistency
Recipe Courtesy of:
Sara Quessenberry, October 2008 RealSimple.com
This recipe pairs nicely with our new Zeffer Hills California Chardonnay – carefully blended with the fruit from several regions to give an ideal Chardonnay character – pippin apples, guava, pineapples and hints of sweet oak.
If you would rather put your feet up, then simply enjoy your apple loot with your favorite dips, spreads & cheeses—no cooking required! Cut apples into wedges & pair with your favorite dips of choice:
- Chunky Peanut Butter
- Zesty Cheese Spread
- Sweet Pumpkin Butter
- Chocolate Dessert Hummus
- Gooey caramel sauce
- Sprinkles of cinnamon, sugar & local honey
Are You Ready for Some Football?
Why not pair your favorite wine with the finger lickin’ good grub that comes with football season! Our Tanglerose Backyard Red is an incredible blend of Sangiovese and Primitivo with small portions of Barbera and Merlot. This wine is a linebacker that can stand up to the spicy, rich flavors of your favorite football food.
ULTIMATE GAME DAY CHILI
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (10.75 ounces each) chicken broth
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ounce dark chocolate
In a nonstick skillet, brown the beef over medium-high heat. Remove it with a slotted spoon and set it aside, leaving some of the fat in the skillet. Saute the onion and garlic in the fat until soft, about 6 minutes.
In a large stockpot, combine the browned beef, sauteed onion and garlic, beans, tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, red pepper, cinnamon, and chocolate. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
Recipe courtesy of: